Saturday, July 12, 2008

2008-2009 TAYSHA



Over a Thousand Hills I Walk With You
by Hanna Jansen is a book from the TAYSHA list
This is a story full of sadness, tragedy courage, and the inner strength for survival. It deals with a young girl named Jeanne, a survivor of the Rawandan Genocide. Her foster mom, Hanna Jansen, turned her daughter's horrendous stories into print by writing this book. Every chapter begins with a note from Jansen. After all the killing, torture, and horrid situations Jeanne found herself in time and time again, it's so hard to believe she has survived to retell the stories.
Every time I read these kind of stories I give thanks to God for allowing me to live in a country that believes in democracy. I'm also thankful I didn't get to experience or live in the era of racial discrimination and suffer harsh treatments. I don't think I would've survive so long like the way Henry Brown in Henry's Freedom Box, Juan Francisco Manzano from The Poet Slave of Cuba or Jeanne did. Stories like these makes you appreciate where you live and what you have.

No comments: