Saturday, July 12, 2008

2008 Notable Books for Children


First the Egg
by Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a 2008 Notable Books for Children book. I wish I had this book back in the days when my children were toddlers asking me what comes first, the chicken or the egg? This is an excellent book about sequencing, patterns, and transformations. It has a continuous pattern of words beginning with "First the... then the..." From the egg to the chicken, tadpole to frog, seed to flower, caterpillar to butterfly and so on until the final pages brings us full circle to the chicken laying the egg. Every other page has a die-cut and when the reader flips the page, we can see the cutout in two contexts. The vibrant oil on canvas illustrations and die-cut pictures help reveal whats on the other side of the page.
I think both children and adults will love this book. I have a similar book in my classroom and my fourth graders enjoy reading and flipping the pages back-and-forth to these kind of books.

No comments: